Mount Pisgah Baptist Church was constituted as the "Church of Yates Meeting House" on August 26, 1814. In 1818 the name was changed to Mount Pisgah. The church has occupied four buildings; the present sanctuary was erected in 1951 under the pastorate of C. E. Byrd.
There were 15 male and 21 female charter members of the church. These members were very much concerned with church discipline, as shown by the peace, fellowship and union in the church.
In 1850 a Sunday School was established. During its early days, the church only met one Sunday a month, but in 1882 the church decided to meet twice a month. The church was very evangelistic, as was demonstrated by large numbers of people being baptized. In 1857 the church had a membership of 297.
Many men from this church have been called into the ministry; the best known being Matthew T. Yates, North Carolina's Pioneer Missionary to China. Others who have become ministers from this church are M. S. Ferrell, Madison Yates, J. T. Mason, Henry Merritt, Joe Hillard, H. C. Sears, C. A. Upchurch, Emmitt Yates, O. W. Yates, George Howard, C. E. Byrd, Hugh Upchurch, Harry Byrd, and Marvin Yates.